Wednesday 6 April 2011

Later with Jools Holland...


Last night I visited the BBC studios to watch the first episode of the new series of Later with Jools Holland. After researching the bands which were to perform, I got more excited stepping into a space in which so many programmes I had watched over the past 10 years had been created. I had discovered many artists from this one of a kind music show and felt intrigued to discover how it came together.

We were guided into an area between Beady Eye (yes, Liam Gallagher still looks like just another lad from North West England) and Raphael Saddiq (amazing new motown singer). I enjoyed the two hour music set from the above bands as well as from Elbow and Anna Calvi, but it was a lot less like a gig than I first imagined. We were completely distracted by runners, camera men and producers moving around in a frenzied manner so it is almost impossible to get swept up in the song - even with Elbow's spectacular Halle Youth Choir, I was sneaking a peak at Nicole Appleton sitting behind me!

It was a great experience to witness such well known musicians perform in the same room but I almost can't bear to admit that some of the show's magic was lost, and perhaps all I really wanted to see was Jools' playing boogie woogie tunes. Back to my comfy armchair it is...

To check out Elbow's new song, 'Open Arms', click here and to check out Anna Calvi's song, 'Blackout', click here

No comments:

Post a Comment